- Could you be pre-diabetic? Answer the following questions:
- Is your blood pressure > 130/80 mmHg?
- Is your waist measurement > 35 inches (female) or > 40 inches (male)?
- Is your triglyceride level > 150 mg/dl?
- Is your HDL < 50 mg/dl (female) or < 40 mg/dl (male)?
- Is your fasting blood glucose (FBS) > 110 mg/dl (some references state > 100mg/dl)?
If you answered “yes” to three or more of these questions, you could have metabolic syndrome, according to the National Cholesterol Education Program/Adult Treatment Panel (III). Metabolic syndrome is a pre-diabetic state and one-third to one-half of this population will go on to develop diabetes if their risk factors are not managed. Many people are pre-diabetic but don’t know it. Metabolic syndrome puts you at a one- to one-and-a-half times higher risk for heart attack and stroke. Having diabetes puts you at a two- to four-times higher risk for heart attack and stroke.