VolunTEENS are High School students between the ages of 14 and 17 who wish to be of service in a hospital setting while gaining familiarity with health care careers. Catholic Medical Center accepts applications from High School students throughout the entire year. Please note, available assignments are limited and students must be able to meet the eligibility requirements. This win-win opportunity offers students positive learning experiences while they provide much needed volunteer service.
• Students must be able to contribute a minimum of eight hours of service per month throughout the year. Students may give more hours if/when it fits into their schedule and doesn’t interfere with their school work or other obligations, for example during the summer months or during school vacation weeks.
• Students must make a minimum commitment of six consecutive months of service, preferably longer. Our hope would be that students would continue volunteering at CMC throughout their entire High School years.
• Eligible students must have completed middle school and be enrolled in, or about to begin High School and be between the ages of 14-17 years old.
Qualified teens may contact the Volunteer Office at (603) 663-6010 to request an application packet by mail or may print and complete the Teen Volunteer Application at the bottom of this page and mail it to the Volunteer Department. Please also print the two recommendation forms, a Parental Consent Form and if under age 16 a Youth Employment Certificate request form. Follow the instructions for the completion of these forms and return them to us by mail or by fax at (603) 663-2019.
Note to students and parents: Please consider these enrollment requirements carefully when making your decision about whether or not to apply for a volunteer assignment. During the application process there will be a considerable number of enrollment steps that must be completed in order to meet hospital regulations & guidelines and to qualify to become a CMC volunteer. These steps will include:
• As mentioned above, students will be asked to complete and submit a teen volunteer application form, a parental consent form, and two written recommendation forms, all of which we will provide.
• Once these forms have been received by the Volunteer Department the student will receive a telephone call from us to schedule an appointment to meet with the Director of Volunteer Resources to discuss available volunteer assignments as well as the time commitment or schedule required in those assignments.
• If there are appropriate opportunities available and a referral is made, students will be asked to schedule additional appointments with the supervisors in the departments that he/she is interested in volunteering for. This will provide the student with the opportunity to learn more about the volunteer duties in each area, see the department, and ask questions. This will also give the Supervisor a chance to determine if the student is qualified & appropriate for that Department. Final acceptance is the decision of the Supervisor, not the Director of Volunteer Resources. Further information about completing this step will be provided at your appointment with the Volunteer Resources Director.
• Students under age 16, will be asked to obtain and submit a Youth Employment Certificate. A YEC application form and instructions will be provided to you by the Volunteer Office after you have been accepted for an available assignment.
• All volunteers, including students, are required to have two tuberculosis (TB) tests done in our Employee Health Services Department and to complete and submit a medical information questionnaire. These TB test appointments are scheduled two weeks in a row and are free of charge. The Volunteer Office will provide you with instructions for scheduling these appointments.
• You will be required to complete the hospital’s "Teen Volunteer Orientation" take home packet and to watch the accompanying DVD. As part of this orientation there will be forms to sign and return to the Volunteer Office and a brief quiz to complete as well.
Once all these steps have been completed, students will be provided with a volunteer ID Badge, volunteer jacket, and sign in/out instructions by the Volunteer Resources Department. From that point the student will be “cleared” to begin volunteering and may establish a starting date and training schedule with their Department Supervisor.
We look forward to meeting you and sharing this experience with you. CMC is very proud of our wonderful teen volunteers and the commitment and enthusiasm they bring!
Teen Volunteer Application form
Recommendation form (two required)
Parental Consent form
Youth Employment Certificate Request form