Lactation Services Supportive Lactation Services
The Lactation Program at The Mom's Place at Catholic Medical Center offers education and encouragement to new moms before the birth of their baby, during their hospital stay and after their return home.
The Lactation Program provides:
Benefits of Breastfeeding
- A certified lactation consultant
- Prenatal breastfeeding classes and counseling
- In-hospital visits for all new mothers for breastfeeding assessment, assistance and education
- Outpatient visits for weight checks, breastfeeding support and encouragement
- Follow-up phone calls
- Breastfeeding Boutique for feeding, pumping and baby-wearing supplies
At The Mom’s Place, we encourage all new moms to breastfeed their babies if possible. Breast milk not only provides perfect nutrition for your baby, but also has immunologic and developmental benefits. Breastfed babies can have fewer infections, a decreased risk of obesity and greater intelligence. Breastfed babies also have a lower incidence of sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS). Mothers who breastfeed lose weight easier, heal faster and have a decreased risk of breast and ovarian cancer. Breastfeeding also saves a new family up to $4,000 a year in formula costs.
The lactation and nursing staff at The Mom’s Place helps you and your nursing baby get off to a good start. A lactation consultant observes feedings and offers tips and encouragement. After your discharge, lactation services are still available for weight checks, problems and support. We also provide and rent Medela pumps and kits. Bottle-Feeding Support
If you choose to bottle feed or are unable to breastfeed, we provide a choice of formulas for your baby. Our staff offers support, assistance and education about formula feeding and preparation. Lactation Program Hours:
Monday – Friday, 8:00 AM – 4:00 PM Lactation Line: (
603) 663-6686 For more information about the Lactation Program, call (603) 626-2626.